Friday, December 2, 2011

Red Cross: "We really just want to be like PETA"

Okay, seriously, what the hell's wrong with people lately? Is it some sort of cosmic dust effect from that thing that will happen in 2012 (lol)?

PETA is a pretty shitty organization to begin with, but now the Red Cross is starting to lose it. If you missed the news, in the 31st International Meeting of the Red Cross, a panel was held to discuss how videogames affect the public. This is something that everyone and their dog does these days, but the punchline is that what they were really discussing was whether or not the Geneva Conventions should be held in video games.

What right does the Red Cross have to intervene on this matter? Since when do they get to shape or influence creative and fictional work? What kind of unprecedented bullshit is this? What purpose would it serve? I'm at loss for words, I honestly don't get it.

What bothers me a hell of a lot more, though, isn't this downright discriminatory treatment of video games (currently the most successful branch of the entertainment industry), but the idea alone that the Red Cross gives a damn. I'm sorry, did War end while I was asleep? Do we all just live in a peaceful planet with no more bloodshed, no more dictators, no more famine, no more nukes and so on and so forth? Don't you have anything better to do with your resources? Where the fuck were you during the war in Iraq? Wouldn't your time be better spent calling Obama every morning to remind him to put behind bars everyone involved in Guantanamo Bay? Or at least something that's along your jurisdiction?

For fuck's sakes, guys, there are much more useful things for you to do. If regulating my freedom in the name of "safety" is what I want, that's what I've got the European Union for.

2 comments:

  1. Um, I have problems with the Geneva Convention in general. While I think people should be persecuted for what they have done, I find the term 'War Crimes' hilarious. It's war, murder for the state or aristocrats, isn't it be definition, unless defensive(Go Athena!, boo Ares!), a crime? I mean, how many armies have gotten involved because a band of freedom fighters from a foreign land asked for help? Not many, and it's the only 'offensive' circumstance I think that can be justified.

    Offensive war is nearly always Annexing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No argument here. GW made the point in MGS2, but people were to busy bitching about Raiden to notice.

    ReplyDelete