Wednesday, October 3, 2012

NCSoft *finally* spoke about "City of Heroes"


Kinda. I'm mostly putting this here in the interest of full-disclosure, lest somebody calls me an unreliable news source (which I totally am), but NCSoft finally put a small paragraph up as a notice to the Save CoH community and presumably the rest of us. The response reads:


"We wanted to let you know that your voices have been heard and your concerns have been taken into serious consideration. We appreciate the overwhelmingly constructive and positive messages in the emails, notes, and packages you've sent in support of the game. It has not been an easy decision for us to close Paragon Studios® and prepare to shut down City of Heroes. We've exhausted all options including the selling of the studio and the rights to the City of Heroes intellectual property, but in the end, efforts to do so were not successful. City of Heroes has a special place in all of our hearts, and we want to ensure its reputation and the memories we share for the game end on a high note. 

Once again, we will be holding events throughout the process of preparing for the game's end, and we encourage players and fans of the franchise to join forces and enjoy their time in a game that we've enjoyed supporting for more than eight years."






See now, that wasn't so hard, was it? The cynic in me still can't get past any of that. For one, NCSoft has pulled shit with MMOs before. Let's not forget, this is the same company that forged Richard Garriott's resignation letter after they killed off his "Tabula Rasa".

Yes, they fucked with the lord of all of Britannia. And they paid for it.

So, this little "answer" tells me nothing other than "we saw what you proposed and we can pretend we thought about it so you'll shut up". The unwise decision to not go into details with number et al, from the start, makes me far too paranoid and shutting down account creation and VIP the one time when there would be a certain influx of players just rubs me the wrong way.

On the other hand, I don't run a business. I have to at least give them the benefit of the doubt, in that I don't know the logistics. NCSoft is still accountable for that, as they still refuse to release details that would put us in an ease of mind, but it's still well-within their rights.

So, what I'm saying is, that new "Blade and Soul" MMO they're preparing can still go fuck itself (as can everything else they are making), but I may spare ArenaNet after all. After a while, preferably following a price-drop. We'll see.

Actually, NCSoft, do you want me to rediscover what little respect I once had for you? If and when private servers for "City of Heroes" show up, look the other way. Then we'll be cool again.

And don't screw ArenaNet over. You have many people watching now. We don't forget that easy.

I'll be popping in and out of CoH until it goes offline and I'll make sure I say a few words after it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment